Author Topic: Mental Illness  (Read 3067 times)

Ronson

• Facilitators
  • I feel, therefore I am real (sometimes)
    • View Profile
Mental Illness
« on: May 29, 2012, 05:32:17 pm »
Good afternoon. My name is Ronson Green and I am a Canadian who was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia at the age of 18. My question to you is, who gives a damn?
   A little while ago we had an epidemic called sars. The government was all up in arms because some people even died. Extra funding was allocated to hospitals as well as many precautions took place to stop sars from getting out of hand.
   Guess what! We have another epidemic in our midst but it has been around for generations. Over 100,000 people in Hamilton alone have suffered, do suffer,or will suffer from mental illness in their lifetime to the point where it affects every aspect of their life.
    One in every 4 people will have a sever mental illness in their lifetime.There is approximately 5,000 people with schizophrenia in Hamilton and 500 of those people will commit suicide.
   There is a stigma of shame attached to mental illness that gets in the way of
people getting the help they need to deal with it. Only ignorance prevents some people from
helping. When the government cuts back funding, the mentally ill are usually the first to
be affected because people say "who cares?"There is more people hospitalized every year
because of mental illness then people with cancer or diabetes or cerebral pulsey or heart
disease all put together and funding is only a fraction of any one of those per capita.
   I have schizophrenia but multiple personality disorder or split-personalities have
nothing to do with schizophrenia. The best way to describe my disease is that I dream while
I am fully awake. I see and feel objects and people that are not there.I hear voices and
sounds that do not exist. I have added memory that takes the place of factual memory. I
have delusions plus I have a lack of emotional control. I can not tell the difference
between reality and the dream world and so I have to guess. Imagine having a nightmare that
you can not wake up from because you are already awake and living it.
   Schizophrenia is a disease not unlike diabetes. There is no cure, and sometimes it gets
 worse then other times. People can live a normal life by taking medications for it. There is no cure but the symptoms are treatable. Who gives a damn? We do.  
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 07:42:04 pm by Ronson »